skip navigation bar Sine Project / Structure Details

University of Necastle Upon TyneTyne Bridge girders SINE Project: structural images of the North East
NOF logo, click here to go to the New Oppotunities Fund site
view the SINE frequently asked questions and answers view site map
SINE Project logo, click here to go to the SINE home page

Introduction

Browse Images

Search Images

interACTIVE Zone

Help

News

Links

Contact Us

 

Structure Details
view this image view this image view this image view more images of this structure
 

 

Structure Name: Blyth A and B Power Station

Description:
 
Two power stations constructed during the late 1950s and early 1960s. Blyth A opened in 1958 and was the first power station in Britain to be fitted with the new standard 120MW sets. Blyth B opened in 1962 and was the first power station to have the new 275MW sets installed. Buildings on the site included, boiler houses, chimneys, coal handling plant, coal stores, flue gas cleaning plant, power halls and switch houses.
 

Extant: No

Location: Cambois, NORTHUMBERLAND

Eastings: 430000m (view map)

Northings: 583200m (view map)

Position Accuracy: 100m

Positional Confidence: Absolute Certainty

Structure Types Identified: POWER STATION

Historical Background
 
At the time of its decommissioning Blyth Power Station was the oldest coal-fired power station in Britain.
 

Chronology:

  • 1958   Blyth A Power Station opened.
        Entities Involved:
              Merz & McLellan: Consulting Engineers
  • 1961 - 1962   Blyth B Power Station built between the 4th December 1961 and the 9th September 1962.
        Entities Involved:
              Merz & McLellan: Consulting Engineers
  • 2002   Blyth A and B Power Stations closed January 2002.
  • 2002 - 2004   Period during which Blyth Power Stations were demolished. The smaller strucures were first to go by July 2002, followed by the larger buiuldings by July 2003. Finally at 12:00 hrs GMT the only remaining vestige of Blyth's Power Stations, the four chimneys, were demolished.
Notes
 
Blyth Power Station was something of local celebrity… in 1989 the A station won a place in the Guinness Book of Records by setting a world record, for a plant of its size, when all four generating units achieved 200,000 running hours… later in 1991 the site was used as a location for the sci-fi horror film 'Alien 3' .
 

References:

The information displayed in this page has been derived from authoritative sources, including any referenced above. Although substantial efforts were made to verify this information, the SINE project cannot guarantee its correctness or completeness.

 


view images of this structure
view location on a map

 

we appreciate your feedback suggestions / comments welcome
click here to go to the top of the page  go to the top

 


Last Modified 26 March 2004
2002 SINE Project, University of Newcastle upon Tyne
Email webmaster